30th Sept Round Up

By Anthony Tucker

Rovers and Porth smash Seven. Ashes held at home, Brook win again, Six goals shared at Grampound

Early pacesetters in the Q Cornwall Leisure Veterans League Division 1 Downderry Rovers strengthened their grip with a 7-1 home thrashing of newly promoted Bude Town. After a bright start by the visitors, Rovers eventually got a grip in the game and played some nice football on an excellent surface at Lantoom Park, Dobwalls, and they raced into a 4-0 half time lead. New signing Leon Caers was the difference on the day taking the chances created for him to eventually weigh in with four goals. Also on target for the hosts were Darren Gilbert, Scott Brown and Dave Brown. Bude’s consolation came when Pat Hawkin’s effort was smashed into his own net by Mike Hinks.

Hot on the heels of Rovers are Perranporth who made it two wins from two with a 7-1 demolition at Callington Town. The visitors had raced into a 4-1 half time lead and continued to show no mercy to their hosts firing home three further goals in the second period. Glen Rogers bagged a brace, with Paul Robertson, Elliot Brown, Lee Denton, Jason Bullen and new signing Graham Cook notching the other goals.

In Division 2 league leaders Saltash United were held to a home draw at the Kimberley Stadium by Royal Par. After a goal less first half the game came to life in the second period with both sides trading two goals apiece with the lively Kevin Allen notching both goals for the visitors.

League new boys Millbrook maintained their 100% start when they came away from Goverseth Park, Foxhole with all three points. In an evenly contested first half the Foxes could and should have gone into the break a goal to the good, but Martin Gilbert’s effort from close range flew over the bar. The second half started in similar fashion with both sides cancelling each other out. On 67 minutes Andrew Carter broke the deadlock when a defensive error allowed him in to slot the ball past Matt Clements in the home goal. Substitute Steve Roberts doubled the lead with ten minutes remaining firing home from a Mike Parker flick on, and in the closing stages of the match captain Richard Washburn took advantage of another defensive slip to run in goal number three.

An entertaining encounter at Grampound saw the home side and visiting Halsetown share six goals. The hosts went ahead with their first attack when Glyn Ford managed to wriggle between defenders to slot home. Grampound had a number of chances on the break through the first half but it was the visitors who dominated possession although Tony Ford in the home goal had few real saves to make. The match sprang to life in the second half when spell of pressure ended with a deflected shot finding its way past Ford for the equalizer. An almost immediate reaction by Grampound saw them retake the lead when new signing Chris Hunkin's powerful shot from distance could not be kept out by the visiting keeper. The visitors pushed forward in search of an equalizer, but it was a Grampound misplaced pass that gave them the chance to level the scores again. A free kick was curled over the wall and into the corner from 25 yards by Steve Moorcroft to put Grampound ahead for a third time but they could not hold out for the last 10 minutes. The third equalizer, when it came, was controversial, a Halsetown player going down in the penalty area. The referee deemed there was contact and awarded a hotly disputed penalty, the taker scoring comfortably from the spot.

Where next?

League Cup Round Up 14th Oct Big wins for Perranporth, Millbrook and Foxhole. Royal Par, Lanreath and St Agnes Bolsters also progress
16th Sept Round Up First Vets Win for Millbrook. Also Home Wins for Perran, Ashes and Royal. Honours even in the East Cornwall Derby

Latest photos

Knockout Cup Final 2019
79 photos
Knockout Cup Final 2019
League Cup Final 2019
56 photos
League Cup Final 2019
Supplementary Cup Final 2019
69 photos

Q Cornwall Leisure Veterans League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.