League Cup Round Up 14th Oct

By Anthony Tucker

Big wins for Perranporth, Millbrook and Foxhole. Royal Par, Lanreath and St Agnes Bolsters also progress

There were 7 ties in the Q Cornwall Leisure Veterans League Cup first round at the weekend, with big wins for Perranporth, Millbrook and Foxhole. Also progressing to the next round were Royal Par, Lanreath and St Agnes Bolsters. The Supplementary Cup offers a consolation to the defeated sides, with the Newmoor Rovers and Bude Town tie still to be resolved after the lack of a match referee caused the game to be postponed. 
Kernow Wanderers endured a tough away day against a strong Perranporth team. With Wanderers’ 3 recognized keepers all out injured Chris Povey stepped in to the breach and made some great saves, but couldn’t prevent the hosts racing into a 5-0 interval lead. Four further second half goals saw Perran run out comfortable 9-0 winners. Stuart Gerty led the way for the home side banging in a hat trick with Elliot Brown, Jason Bullen, James Nettleton and Lee Denton grabbing a goal apiece. Goalkeeper, Mark Barkle played the last 30 minutes up front and also got himself on the scoresheet notching a brace.

There was another one sided affair at Jenkins Park where Halsetown made the long journey to face an in-form Millbrook. The home side dominated the first 25 minutes and took a commanding 4-0 lead. Ricky Washburn latched onto an Andy Wainwright cross, converting with a diving header on 7 minutes and a couple of minutes later Washburn turned provider with Wainwright heading home. Brian Stacey got in on the act bagging a quickfire double before the visitors were given a glimmer of hope when Kevin Toms reduced the arrears just before half time. Halsetown’s mini revival was short lived when Stacey completed his hat trick within 5 minutes of the restart. Wainwright hit his second and his side’s 6th just before the hour mark. Further strikes from Lee Medlin, Mike Parker, Peter Ireland and Chris Girdlestone took the home side’s score to double figures.

In an all Division 1 encounter, St Agnes Bolsters hosted Downderry Rovers at Enys Park. Both teams started brightly, with Rovers slightly edging a goal-less first half. The visitors made the breakthrough in the 65th minute with Rob Bilsborough firing into the roof of the net only for Scott Goodchild to level matters with 10 minutes remaining. Both sides went in search of a winner, but no further scoring saw the tie go to penalties. Bolsters held their nerve with Trevor Wisker, Goodchild, Paul Hutchins, Mark Wade and Ian White all successful from the spot and Deba Sidhu saving to his right to win the shoot out 5-3.

After meeting in Division 2 a couple of weeks previously Royal Par were drawn against Saltash United. In the league encounter the two sides played out a 2-2 draw at Kimberley Park, but their League Cup tie saw Royal progress into the next round courtesy of a 2-0 home success at Par Running Track. Lee Collings and Colin Harker grabbing the goals for the hosts in their impressive victory.

2nd Division Grampound gave their Div 1 opponents Lanreath a scare in their home tie although they looked like being over-run in the opening exchanges as the visitors swept forward and eventually took the lead with a neat finish. Gradually, the home side eased into the game and started to create chances, with Jody Allen finding space to drill home the equaliser. He repeated this ten minutes later to put Grampound ahead and the lead might have been extended as a couple of gilt-edged chances were squandered. Lanreath managed to beat Grampound's high defensive line to bring the scores level at the break. The second half was pretty even and both sides created chances although Grampound had probably the better opportunities without managing to hit the net. With 15 minutes left, a good finish gave Lanreath the winner to go into the next round.

Another tie which saw Div 2 take on Div 1 was at Goverseth Park where Foxhole entertained the current league champions Callington Town. Fortunes have changed for Town and have endured a difficult start to their new campaign and their cause was not helped when they travelled with depleted numbers. They started with nine players, with a late arrival boosting their number to 10, only for an injury to bring them back down to their original 9. The Foxes took advantage firing home three early goals. Dale Isbell, a long range strike from Shaun Truscott and Ali Milton on target for the home side. The hosts carved open several other opportunities, but failed to make the most of their numerical advantage often straying offside against the resolute visiting defence. The second period followed a similar pattern with Foxhole dominating for large periods. The evergreen Tim Stott got himself on the score sheet and Bobbylee Johns completed the scoring. The visitors came close to gaining a consolation in the closing stages, but a headed effort from a corner came back off the post.

Where next?

St Agnes Bolsters 1-1 Downderry Rovers (5-3 on pens) Match report supplied by Steve James (St Agnes Bolsters)
30th Sept Round Up Rovers and Porth smash Seven. Ashes held at home, Brook win again, Six goals shared at Grampound

Latest photos

Royal Par v Millbrook
42 photos
Royal Par v Millbrook
FA Peoples Cup 2019
31 photos
FA Peoples Cup 2019
Royal Par v Downderry Rovers
23 photos

Q Cornwall Leisure Veterans League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.