New season up and running

By Anthony Tucker

Goals galore on the opening day

Division 1 champions, Callington Town saw their title defence get off to the worst possible start when they were beaten at home by Downderry Rovers. Jim Moynan opened the scoring for the visitors only for the home side to equalise before the break. Scott Brown restored the lead for Rovers and Moynan made the game safe with his second of the match to see Downderry run out 3-1 winners.

Newly promoted Bude Town got their season off to a flying start with a home success over the much fancied Lanreath. The visitors had Matt Julian (2), and Jonny Collins on target, but the hosts responded with a hat trick from Ben Polak, with further goals from Paul Johns and Ian Adams seeing the home side to a 5-3 success.

Newly named Newmoor Rovers travelled to St Agnes Bolsters with depleted numbers and found themselves on the wrong end of a 5-0 scoreline. Bolsters took a while to settle against their ten man opponents, but striker Danny O’Hagan opened the scoring on twenty minutes and Scott Goodchild doubled the advantage on the half hour. On the stroke of half time O’Hagan added his second and his side’s third to put the hosts in control. Rovers continued to battle bravely in the second period, but an injury to player manager Stuart Bell saw their numbers further reduced and O’Hagan took advantage to complete his hat trick. Debutant Nick Bell completed the scoring with twenty minutes remaining.

In Division 2 a ding dong encounter saw Foxhole edge a nine goal thriller against Royal Par at Goverseth Park. The Foxes found themselves a goal behind when Kevin Allen’s speculative cross come shot was fumbled into the net by home ‘keeper. Martin Gilbert restored parity five minutes before half time with a cool finish. With the second half only three minutes old a defensive lapse let in Royal’s Colin Harker to tap into an empty net to restore the away side’s lead. Once again Gilbert levelled matters just before the hour mark and he completed his hat trick on 64 minutes to put the home side in front for the first time. Ten minutes later former Royal player Stephen Wearne swept home from close range after more good work by Gilbert to seemingly put the game out of Royal Par’s reach. With eight minutes remaining Royal were given a lifeline when Harker headed home his second from a corner. And two minutes later it looked like Royal had salvaged a point when Simon Lambert lashed home to level the scores at 4-4, but Bobbylee Johns had other ideas when he powered his way through and smashed home the winner for the hosts with three minutes of normal time remaining.

Highly fancied Saltash United made the long trip to Kernow Wanderers and their journey was a fruitful one coming away with a convincing victory. United led 2-0 at the break and the hosts held out in the second period until the 65th minute when the Ashes hit a third. Wanderers immediately responded with the goal of the game. Lee Richards netting from all of 70 yards. Three late goals saw the visitors complete a 6-1 scoreline. On target for Saltash were Dave Wilkinson (2), Steve Treble Dave Grant, Andy Wright and Steve Bishop.

Where next?

16th Sept Round Up First Vets Win for Millbrook. Also Home Wins for Perran, Ashes and Royal. Honours even in the East Cornwall Derby
AGM 18th July Annual meeting at Foxhole

Latest photos

Knockout Cup Final 2019
79 photos
Knockout Cup Final 2019
League Cup Final 2019
56 photos
League Cup Final 2019
Supplementary Cup Final 2019
69 photos

Q Cornwall Leisure Veterans League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.